Monday, November 14, 2016

A Southern Gentleman's Proposal

Alright y'all here's the inside scoop on Ben's big performance, all unbeknownst to me until after the fact...

I'm a professional dancer based in Nashville and I just finished up a series of shows this past weekend. This particular production was the biggest of my dancing career thus far: a triple bill featuring 3 pieces by 3 incredibly different choreographers. During the rehearsal process I had absolutely been put through the wringer, challenged by the insistence, speed, and investment required in each creative process. Not to mention it was the company's biggest performance venue to date: the Tennessee Performing Arts Center in Polk Theater.

Needless to say, by the time the company and I got to rehearsing in the theater, I was pretty physically and emotionally spent. I was really inspired by my coworker's and their camaraderie, but I would come home every night to my sweet guy, Ben, in shambles. Something was always aching, I was always on the verge of being hangry, there were chores to be done that I just didn't have the energy to do, etc, etc. BUT, Ben helped me through the whole week, cooking meals, doing the laundry, buying emergency pizzas (because, hey, every lady needs an emergency pizza all to herself from time to time), and overall being the best dang boyfriend any struggling dancer could ask for. He would even justify my lack of productivity for me, saying "It's show week. Show week is hard." What a guy.

When the day of the final performance came around my parents drove into town all the way from Wisconsin and we all got to grab a bite to eat together for lunch. They brought me early birthday presents, muffins, and a bouquet of flowers. We went to Porter Road Bistro and enjoyed each other's company and light hearted discussion. Little did I know, they were in on the surprise...



Ben's parents, a couple of family friends, and a big group of Ben's friends were all coming to see the show, though I only knew of a few. I had sent them all invites, but they had been very non-committal and vague in their responses, so I'd assumed that they weren't going to be able to make it. Still, as the show got nearer I was getting more and more jittery, wanting to do the works justice and wanting to give the best performance for my two families.

The show came and went. I was hyper-aware of every little ankle-bobble and slide, and I was short of breath more often than usual, but between each section I could see my support team cheering me on in the front row. Overall it was a good show and I was so grateful to have both sets of parents there supporting me.

I also noticed early on that Ben was dressed up in a full suit. Dapper as always!

After the show the company hosted a Q&A with the audience, and when my director announced that there was time for one more question Ben's hand shot up in the air. My friend Lizzy handed him the microphone and he stood up to ask his question. The rest, well, is history...



Sweet guy! I found out later he was shaking in his boots just before but he looked completely relaxed to me! Turns out he had coordinated with my director to ask permission and then have help executing this grandiose proposal. It was so special because all of my close friends were up there onstage with me, and all of his friends and our parents were out in the audience watching. The standing ovation wasn't bad either. ;)

And what's more, southern gentleman that Ben is, he'd asked for my dad's permission to propose! After several months of my constant guessing ("maybe it'll be when we go to the beach," "maybe it'll be when we go to this fancy restaurant," "maybe it'll be...") he nailed it! It turns out a lot of people knew in advance but did a really good job of keeping things a surprise. I am extremely grateful and happy and have felt like a princess ever since that magical night. I really cannot believe how much love and support we have been surrounded with in these past few days, and I'm truly, truly grateful. Best day of my life thus far.


No comments:

Post a Comment