Monday, November 21, 2016

Quarter Century Joys

I got to spend my birthday together with my parents for the first time since 2007 this year. I've always been away studying or dancing professionally, usually preparing for a holiday show at this time of year, so it was nice to get to spend some time together.

I started off the day with a warm mug of coffee and then whipped up some (again Paula Deen recipe) biscuits for everyone to munch on. Next we all sat down and strategized about Thanksgiving. I had a list of different side dishes and links to recipes that we had to narrow down to feed only five people. Probably the 10-12 recipes I had scouted out would have yielded more than needed to feed five.


After choosing our recipes I wrote down a grocery list and order-of-operations for Thanksgiving day, and we all ran to the grocery to pick up ingredients and supplies. Ben grabbed a "Tippy Cow" Wisconsin-original rum and cream sample pack, which is similar to Bailey's and totally delicious!

Next my mom and I started talking about wedding plans and ended up looking through necklaces and earrings that had sentimental value. We moved upstairs and uncovered some wedding memories of her own: a wedding photo album, a few custom printed napkins, a fancy pen with a long plume (for guestbook signing)....


Especially sweet to unpack were my mom's veil and wedding dress. Peeling back the crinkly blue tissue paper, I noted that my mom and I have similar priorities when it comes to wedding attire: delicate lace details and a taste for something dramatic (in this case, the long, gorgeous train). She let me try both pieces on and it was so special for her to share that with me. At twenty-five we were almost exactly the same size!


We headed out to dinner at a nice steak restaurant. We feasted on potato croquettes, bacon-wrapped maple-whisky-glazed scallops, French onion soup, filet and ribeye, asparagus, and risotto...plus plenty of wine! We chatted, joked, reminisced, and laughed. I took free birthday dessert to go and we finished off the night by watching a light-hearted movie. It was a productive and enjoyable birthday, filled with love and anticipation for the year to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment