Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Get the Look : Proposal Edition

For whatever reason I feel the compulsion to document exactly what I was wearing the evening that Ben proposed, so here it goes...

During the Q&A I decided that I wanted to look nice for our families so, rather than sporting the black jeans and long-sleeved shirt I'd chosen the night before, I chose to wear one of my other costumes from the show. I chose a predominantly black lace-trimmed dress with a red rose pattern on it that my director referred to as my "original outfit," that is, the one that defined me / my role as an individual in her work. I also enjoy that I wore the classic contemporary dance crew cut black sock during the proposal. It's a somewhat strange touch to a non-dancer, but I like that it serves as a little shoutout to my career in the video. Super grateful I thought to take off my knee pads though!!


After the proposal, in a frenzy to get my things together from the dressing room, I changed into a short red dress that Ben had helped me pick out. "Helped me pick out" as in I tried on a few options and sent him dressing room pics. I was a bit wary about how short the skit was but decided to wear it in the end. The slight sparkle in the fabric is what had me sold! I only wore nude flats because my body and particularly my knees were to fatigued to stagger around in heels.


Looking back, it was unintentionally a really red rose themed proposal. Ben got me a bouquet of roses, one of which he carried up onstage with him, the ring came in a deep burgundy box, and my dress was printed with red roses and was a symbol of myself and my personality within the work I had just finished performing. Not to mention the glamor of the red cut out dress afterwards, and red lipstick throughout. What a night!

No comments:

Post a Comment